Thursday, November 02, 2006

An announcement.

Things seem to be rather looking up. I went into my spinning class today and my exceptionally enthusiastic America instructor told me I looked happy.

This is a good thing.

I have two things to report. I will start with the one I mentioned last week. Some months ago I entered a short story I had written in a competition run by a national newspaper. As I heard nothing, I assumed it had been unsuccessful. I wasn't too fussed, after all, there must have been thousands of entries. Last week, while I was in Thailand, I got an e-mail from a book publishing company asking me to call their senior publishing director in relation to my entry to the competition - but not until Tuesday.

I was extremely over-excited - this was a really big publishing company and this woman had read my story. Big deal (no sarcastic overtones). So I called her. It turns out that they have narrowed all the entries down to the last 16 - of which my story is one. And they were ringing to ask my permission to publish my story, with the other short-listed ones, in a book going on sale on World Book Day next year. An actual, real, paid for book that you can get in WHSmiths and other book sellers.

I'm going to be an actual published author! I mean, the story's only brief and apparently may have to be edited slightly because the book is aimed at people with a low literacy level (their words, not mine) but you will be able to find this book on a shelf and look inside and see my name. I know my name is read by 11,000 people in the newspaper I work for every week, but this is different. This is what I've been wanting probably ever since I read Emily of New Moon. Bloody good book. And maybe someone will read it and think "Oh look, this girl is better than sliced bread, she's like toasted bagels and everyone likes them" and ask me to write lots more stories for money. Well, maybe not, but still, I'll be in a book!

Plus, I still have a shot at winning the competition and accompanying £1,000 tower of books.

Woohoo!

The other news is more personal.

I am now engaged.

HF finally popped the question in Thailand (it was romantic but naturally not as straightforward as it ought to be - he has difficulties asking simple four word questions, he prefers the 83-word procrastination). So after six years together, we're going to get married. I sort of knew he was going to ask, but he kept letting perfect opportunities slide (perfect sunsets, moonlight walks, star watching etc) then he did it on our last night. Which was still romantic, as we were on a beachside restaurant and I had just eaten the best prawns ever. Unfortunately, I probably wasn't looking as ace as I normally do because we had checked out of our bungalow and I was wearing what I had been wearing when we went hiking up a VERY STEEP waterfall - a green bikini, a vest top of the non-sexy kind, and some shorts. Rather disconcertingly, the sweat had left a manky boob mark on my top. Clearly, HF saw beyond all that to the fabulous person inside.

Anyway, my fiance is waiting in bed for me (I mean that in an innocent sense, honest) and I am a trifle tired. Anyone got any good ideas for where we should get married? I currently have a budget of £3.50.

More on that story later.

12 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

First of all, glad to hear that you made it back safe and sound and that you seem to have had a great time!

CONGRATULATIONS on everything that's going on in your life right now! A soon to be published engaged author. No wonder your instructor said you looked happy...you are!!!

Can't really recommend anywhere for you to get married, unless of course you'd like to do some more travelling and do it in Canada.

3/11/06 2:28 am  
Blogger Kellycat said...

Congratulations on both fronts!

A friend of mine got married at Thurston Grange this year, which was very nice. (It's outside Bury in case you didn't know.)

3/11/06 7:32 am  
Blogger Dave said...

Hurrah! On both bits of news.

I'll do the wedding if you like. Fish and chips afterwards, and as long as you romantically share the fish, you'll get away withing budget.

3/11/06 8:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is excellent news all round - I'm highly impressed with the author bit and mightily pleased that you're being made an honest woman of. I have no idea on the venue front but I'm happy to round the budget up to a fiver.

3/11/06 11:04 am  
Blogger mig bardsley said...

Well congratulations (again:).

And congratulations again, again :) :)

Tell you what, as a doting Mum, I'll raise the budget to a tenner so you can both have fish and chips and possibly share an ice cream!

Can't wait to take everyone I know, one by one, to WH and say "Oh look, my daughter's book". Yay!
(I do wish I'd been a fly on the wall in Thailand...that man of yours has a way with words :)

3/11/06 11:33 am  
Blogger Liz said...

Hurrah book! Hurrah engagement! Absolutely delighted to hear both bits of news - the Weasel household is doing a happy dance for you.

3/11/06 4:56 pm  
Blogger Jools said...

Massive congratulations all round for all your good news, lovely to have your faith in the world and people come flooding back - want to send some of the happy lucky vibes my way?
(Not sure if I've posted before, so if not Hi, long time lurker reveals herself unabashed from underneath the bushes)

3/11/06 5:38 pm  
Blogger wetnailvarnish said...

Oh how fantastic! For both bits of news! Wow, its almost too exciting for you to have put it all in one entry :) Congratulations!
I will definitely be looking out for the shortlisted short stories book next year, I'd be very interested to read it..pretty please remind us all nearer the time!
And wow again to your engagement. I'm sure the combination of Thailand, the prawns, and the manky boob sweat mark on your top will always help you absolutely remember exactly when you got engaged :)
Congrats Ms Frangelita!
xx

5/11/06 2:08 am  
Blogger CT said...

Congratulations x 2!

5/11/06 1:28 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

heeey, congratulations!!

it sounds really sweet and good. Best wishes to you.

Sweet. Congrats.

5/11/06 7:56 pm  
Blogger Annie said...

Arrfgh, Frangelita! This is awesome news, congratulations! I am really, really happy for you, despite never having met you in my life. Well done girl.

AR xxxx

6/11/06 12:55 pm  
Blogger Nina said...

congratulations! there's really not much to say, is there?:) I hope this book thingy is only the first step in your writing career, wish you all the best.

6/11/06 7:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home