Monday, October 09, 2006

From Norfolk to Thailand

Sort of.

HF has just asked me if he needs a woolly hat. For Thailand. Where we are going on Friday.

Yelp!

I think I may have got him slightly over-excited. We have just returned from a weekend in Norfolk where there were disappointingly few crabs but large quantities of land falling into the sea and have been plunged straight into planning for our big proper holiday.

The land of smiles.

Hmmm.

I'm a bit disjointed tonight. I have this list of things I have to do before I go and I don't seem to have done many of them. One of them was to call Qatar Airways to reconfirm our flights. This proved surprisingly difficult as they seem to have about 18,000 different phone numbers on the website, none of which actually seems to be the one I wanted. And when I did get through, the answer-machine shouted at me in arabic and I got scared and hung up. Oh well, they're open again tomorrow.

Then we wrote down all the train and boat times and pondered whether it would be okay to spend three hours in the wee hours in a town in the middle of nowhere waiting for a boat.

Then HF got up and said: "Right, I'm going to pack."
He went off, muttering "sandals". I think he might need slightly more than that, but come on, it's still only Monday.

He has now told me he's not actually packing but I can't see what he is doing and it sounds suspiciously like packing. He doesn't even have a list yet. You should never pack without a list.

I expect I'll have to write it though.

The list is in fact one of the things I still have to do. I also have on my list get haircut and consider having a bikini wax (I've never had one before and I'm a bit scared but also a bit hairy).

*HF just muttered in the background "I thought I had more pants than that. I've only got three pairs". Frankly, quite worrying.*

I suspect I may have left it late to do either now.

*He's just called out four. And then five. But that's still not enough for a clean person.*

This constant muttering about pants in the background is a trifle distracting. I hope I have enough pants. We're gone for 16 days (I think it's 16 but a lot of those nights are spent travelling in some fashion) and 16 pants is a lot of knickers.

I think people should now suggest to me all the things I am likely to forget. Then I'll forget other things instead. I am deeply paranoid about the fact that I'm not allowed to take contact lens solution on the flight. What if they lose my baggage? I can't wash my lenses in mangy Thai water. It would also be a big hassle to have to buy 16 new pairs of knickers, especially as they would all be designed for tiny Thai people with no bottoms.

This is probably enough waffle for now. Ooh, what I would do for a belgian waffle right now...

Okay. That's it, I'm going. Now.

Not to Thailand, just to the bedroom to write that list. If HF stops asking me silly questions.

More on that story later.


Okay

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fran, you are sounding more and more like your mother by the DAY!

I'd be more worried about bikini waxing than giving blood, if I were you.

And as for pants ....

9/10/06 10:49 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

I have a master list for holidays on the computer. Then I can just add or subtract from it, depending on temperature etc of any specific holiday.

I did warn you that that part of Norfolk was falling into the sea. Sorry I didn't get to meet you.

10/10/06 7:57 am  
Blogger frangelita said...

Thursday, I'm going to take that as a compliment. I did after all blog some way back that I thought I was turning into my mother.

Dave - I'm impressed by your organisation. It was a shame we didn't get to meet, maybe next time.

10/10/06 10:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely, it's a compliment and I'm hoping that it comes to us all.

10/10/06 10:40 pm  
Blogger Kellycat said...

Wet wipes. Plasters Tweezers. Resealable sandwich bags (to pack toiletries in to stop them leaking into your many pairs of knickers). Stuff to stop bites itching. A photocopy of your passport details.

(I'll be back later with more....)

11/10/06 7:42 am  
Blogger mig bardsley said...

If I hadn't been in darkest deepest Essex and deprived of all internet access I'd have said don't worry about pants/knickers...there will be lots of cheap laundry facilities. Thailand is a country with an understanding about clothes. But I was so I didn't. never mind, I'm sure you'll both cope.

21/10/06 8:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Intriguing (sp?)blog. I got here doing a google search, at 12:30 at night, on "What are the friggin sounds in my head, like marbles colliding?".
My wife's on hols and I had no one to complain to!

Your "inside my head" post and a few "colliding" words got me to your page; a somewhat weird path to your door. I know!
And perhaps a bit scary. Sorry.

So, I had a nice read and forgot all about my little Cicada noises. A gentle "touch of sanity" perhaps.

I just had to let you know that way out here in the colonies (Perth, Australia), someone was pleasantly entertained, and read for over 45 mins. I'll be back.

This week a school mate died of a heart attack, while working out at the gym, would you believe, and I have a hard time thinking about their loss, instead of my wife's Hitler like directive: I shall use the new weight machine.

I felt a resonance with your accounts of losing weight; great pics & stories of where you go in England; the people who think they have the frickin right to comment about other people's shape (My usual response: "Your butt still looks the same!"); the laid-back little kitty; our watching the same TV programs, while oceans apart; and publishing from one's heartland. Also, it was a pleasure reading from someone who knows how to write, damm well.

I've got a tech-college, group presentation to a charity tomorrow on their new web-site, devoted to Orphans in Bali. So I had better go back to bed or tomorrow I might just start talking about "in my head".

Cheers.

5/11/06 6:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home