Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Bruised, bitten, burnt and burgled

You would never have thought it was such a dangerous undertaking, all this holidaying. And yet I somehow have found wounds on almost every part of my body. Despite incessant insect repellant application, I have bites on everywhere from both sides of my kneecap, to the knuckle of my little finger. I even seem to have one on my face.

Bastard mossies.

Thanks to a series of rather exciting and arduous treks across various islands (jungly and very hilly), I fell over twice and have scratches on my hands and one helluva lump on my shin which has gone a fetching shade of purple. To be fair, one of those happened when me and HF decided it would be a really good idea to go down the waterfall (trust me, it was).

We have now left Koh Tao, where some exceptionally good snorkelling left us both burnt on our backs and bums so we look like classic brits abroad, and Ko Phangan, where we had a lovely, isolated time until someone sneakily broke into our bungalow (right on the beach, ace views, poor lighting) without damaging a thing and removed all my money - 4000 baht or about 60 pounds (still haven't worked out these keyboards properly). And 15 pounds in english money that HF had. I actually cried - it was this morning and we had to catch the boat so I was walking along the beach, beladen with a rucksack almost twice my size, weeping. I told the men. They seemed shocked, but were not particularly helpful. It was probably one of them, the toerags.

Anyway, now we're in Ko Samui, our last island and have landed ourselves a rather nice room - not that I'm going to leave anything of value there now. So far, it looks a bit pants, but we'll see, things can change quite quickly. The beach is long but full of chavs from all nationalities. The best thing so far is these really cool silk throws these random men are touting on the beach. I might have to buy one to make me feel better.

More on that story later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Are you expecting sympathy, having posted last time: 'Ha ha ha you're all at work and I'm lying in the sun sipping cold beer by the beach'?

Of course, you have my sympathy. I can't bear to see a woman cry.

25/10/06 2:33 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

well, yes, the mossies!!!!!!!!!! Ha, finally someone understands my pain and eternal hatred for the lil buggers!

Sorry bout the burglar tho.

25/10/06 8:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home