Friday, October 27, 2006

Coming home

It is our last day in Thailand. Sob. Koh Samui has turned out better than expected. We did a day trip to the famous Ang Thong Marine Park, a vast archipelago of extremely picturesque islands where we snorkelled, kayaked and I accidentally left my sunglasses at the top of Koh Mae Ko overlooking the inspiration for The Beach (allegedly, everything's connected to The Beach here, apparently.

We saw Thai dancing and Muay Thai, and when all the men were too wussy to take on the rather hardcore looking champion boxer I said I would have a go and nearly kicked him in the head. He was rather surprised I could get my foot that high (he was taller than me) but I can do the splits after all.

Today we went up a waterfall and I got just a bit whingy because it was so steep going up I was convinced we were going to die on the way down. We didn't, cos we followed a wiley Thai man who led us to the most amazing unexpected view. I think he wanted paying, but as he spoke no English and my Thai is very limited, all he actually got was thankyou.

I've filled up five films worth of pictures which will be posted very soon and I may have potentially got an e-mail with the best news I've had...possibly ever. But no counting chickens, so I won't detail it here until I know what the deal is.

Thailand is an amazing place, full of startling contrasts, beautiful beaches, smiley people and extremely stinky drains. It was more and less than what I expected in so many ways. And I only got the runs once and it was only one brief toilet visit. Yay me!

More on that story later.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Overall, seemed like an excellent time was had and I hope the email contains The Best News Ever.

27/10/06 5:59 pm  
Blogger mig bardsley said...

Can't wait to hear the news. And to see the pictures :)

30/10/06 2:06 am  
Blogger wetnailvarnish said...

Wow, I hope the news is as exciting as it sounds. And as good as it sounds. Fingers crossed for you.

Your trip overall sounds absolutely fantastic. I've always wanted to go Thailand, so I've been enjoying your well-documented experiences. Its made me even more determined to do it myself sometime after university. Hopefully I'll be able to get my own HF-type ('MG', in fact) on board, although he's not too fussed about Thailand and reckons he'd rather go elsewhere. I may make him read your blog entries about it and see if it inspires him..

1/11/06 5:39 pm  
Blogger mig bardsley said...

By the way, I'm so impressed with your champion boxing! I bet all the wussy men fell over like ninepins.

3/11/06 11:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home