Thursday, October 19, 2006

Island Paradise

Ha ha ha you're all at work and I'm lying in the sun sipping cold beer by the beach.

Now I've got that little immature bit out of the way, I can report that Thailand is ACE. Wicked cool, in fact.


I am currently swaying slightly from side to side, not because I am drunk (not yet) but because I spent all day on a boat looking at little (and larger) fishes. It's a bit disconcerting, actually. Anyway, we've left Bangkok - I would say three days is the most you would want to spend there - and taken a mammoth night train journey to Chumphon, then a three-hour boat trip to Koh Tao, where we have been since Tuesday morning. It looks like the island from Lost, but with more bungalows and, disappointingly enough, no Sawyer lookalikes. Shame. We have snorkelled lots and after despairing of looking even slightly like we were on holiday in the smog of Bangkok, are picking up a bit of colour quite nicely. Don't worry, lots of sunscreen, hats and water are being consumed. If that makes sense.

We have wildly underestimated how long it would take us to walk everywhere, but done it anyway - seen a family of five riding a motorbike together - got nipped by a crab - seen a shark (small reef shark, not very threatening) and dined sumptuously for under two pounds. We sniffed our noses up at some place selling dinner for about four pounds a plate - disgracefully overpriced.

Anyway, I had better go as the swaying thing is getting really quite distracting - maybe if I drink some beer (chang, at 6.4 % will completely floor you) it will make me sway the other way and I will feel steady...

More on that story later.

2 Comments:

Blogger mig bardsley said...

As a doting mother I am naturally concerned about the swaying but reassured by the hat consumption. It sounds as though you're having a good time and being sensible!
I heitate to say I'm envious in view of our recent travels but as am gong back to Essex tomorrow, I will.
I'm envious :)
GD is doing alright by the way. But slowly.
xx

21/10/06 9:05 pm  
Blogger Annie said...

Happy holidays. I've never wanted a holiday in the sun but I think I might be changing my mind.

23/10/06 8:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home