Friday, April 14, 2006

Banned words

Higher-up people at my work (the sort I never actually see, only hear directives they have issued) have decided we need to give people more opportunities to interact with us online. They fear this may cause some problems in that people could seriously defame other people, or say things which are obscene or offensive. And let's be honest, they probably would.

So they have put some safeguards in place. One of them involves a list of banned words which will be filtered out of any comments (I don't know whether they will just come up as blank spaces, bleeps or whether the whole comment will be deleted, who knows). Anyway, we were presented with this list of words.

I'm not sure I've ever laughed quite so hard in my life. Someone, somewhere - in fact probably several people - have spent time and effort coming up with a list of these banned words. Three pages of A4 filled with obscenities.

It starts innocuously enough with arse before moving to the sort of expressions I don't think I've ever heard anyone in real life actually say. Something involving cheese, for example, something involving curtains. I can't bring myself to even write them down. My favourite part was when one of my colleagues, mystified, asked "what's smegma?" and the new girl answered "Umm, I think the answer's just above cottaging". How often could these sort of conversations take place?

Anyway, while the list was in many ways surprisingly imaginative, some of it was clearly unrealistic - what's wrong with the word blow? And there are so many things which are actually not really rude words at all, it's just the context - banned words included pearl necklace, nude, spanking, school kids and underage. I can see why they could be used in an inappropriate context, but considering I personally have written numerous innocent stories about school children, underage drinking, people wanting to open nude lapdancing clubs, I think there is a real potential this could stifle debate.

Plus, they forgot anus, anal, minge, fuckittage, flange and dogging. Although we were invited to add any more words we felt should be excluded. One of my colleagues was writing down a list of these words on a random piece of paper and then realised this could be taken in very much the wrong way, so destroyed it.

Worryingly, when I mentioned this to HF, he kept trying to come up with other words. Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but seeping and gash are not rude words. Not particularly pleasant words, I agree, but they're hardly swearing. I think there's something deeply wrong with him. I shall investigate.

More on that story later.

7 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Clearly this lot went right over my head, as I'm not allowed to know any ****ing rude words.

15/4/06 8:04 am  
Blogger patroclus said...

This is hilarious, and quite an eye-opener, too.

One of the things that *really* bugs me about Channel 4's chat forum is that a whole array of words aren't allowed, so when I go on there to show my appreciation for stuff like Green Wing (well, mainly just Green Wing, actually), I'm actually banned from quoting from their own programme.

Try writing something like "twat" and you get a message saying "your post has been rejected because it contains offensive language", when I have JUST BEEN WATCHING a programme on THEIR OWN CHANNEL that has no qualms whatsoever about using the word c*nt. The hypocrisy!!

Oops, ranting.

15/4/06 8:34 am  
Blogger frangelita said...

Too true, Pat. I can understand why some of them are included but surely it might be better to actually have someone reading it for content qualitatively rather than just using a filter. Plus you can be really, really offensive without ever saying a banned word, not to mention libellous. What are they going to do about that??

16/4/06 11:15 pm  
Blogger OvaGirl said...

How ridiculous, and yet also hilarious. The image of a group of grownups sitting around compiling a list of bad words is fantastic.

Of course you're right, a blanket filter is just stupid, you need a moderator who actually reads the things. After all you don't need swear words to be racist, sexist or just plain offensive.

Bunch of lazy fucknuckles.

17/4/06 2:29 am  
Blogger Annie said...

Flange is a great one. Flange. It's something to do with paving, according to my (builder) brother. I think it's the bit of the kerb that dips down to the same level as the road.

18/4/06 1:44 pm  
Blogger mig bardsley said...

I thought a flange was something flattish that sticks out down the side of something roughly cylindrical. Like the sticky out bits on a propeller. And I thought they usually came plural.
Have I managed to say anything unacceptable yet?

20/4/06 1:39 am  
Blogger frangelita said...

I only know the rude meaning of flange *titters immaturely*

20/4/06 10:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home