Sunday, April 02, 2006

Croquetas

A few months ago I went to this gastro-pub run by a woman from Barcelona and she served up these wonderful things which looked a bit like potato croquettes but tasted about a thousand times better. I asked her what was in them and she said it was parma ham. Which didn't really answer my question as what I wanted to know what the substance inside was as it clearly wasn't any kind of potato I had ever eaten.

Anyway, we came across the same thing in Barcelona - called Croquetas. Oh sweet Jesus they were good. When I came back I managed to track down some recipes with the help of the interweb. So on Thursday, desperate to taste some more of that yummy stuff, I decided to try my hand at making them. The recipe was slightly ambiguous at one point to do with quantities, but I persevered and made the sauce and left it to cool overnight.

When I returned to the gloopy mixture the following day, I was a little concerned about the texture, but I was confident with enough breadcrumbs I would be able to sort it out. I tried to form the croquetas but they weren't playing ball, they were just squidgy. With a lot of effort, I managed to cover it in breadcrumbs sufficiently to stay together. As soon as I started the frying, however, it disintegrated. Several hours slaving over a hot stove and all my milk, wasted. And not a single edible croquette.

I was very annoyed.

Weight-loss update - another pound, meaning I have now lost a stone, 14 lbs, yay!

3 Comments:

Blogger mig bardsley said...

And you look fantastic. Keep it up.
Shame about the croquetas!

2/4/06 11:40 pm  
Blogger surly girl said...

if you get the recipe sorted out please email me immediately. i need a recipe for these things....

3/4/06 3:09 pm  
Blogger frangelita said...

SG - I need one too!

Sherbert - Ooh, yes please!

4/4/06 8:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home