Wednesday, April 05, 2006

I love it when a plan comes together

Last year was, for me, quite a difficult year. Professionally I felt stagnated, I wasn't particularly happy or fulfilled in my job and I couldn't seem to do anything to kickstart that.

My lovelife was still good, seeing as I have a long-term live-in boyfriend, but it didn't change or advance in any way (ie no proposals or break-ups etc). I had to move house, something I had been determined not to do until I had a new job. Which I hadn't.

Despite my best* efforts, including gym memberships and all sorts, I was completely failing to lose weight and transform my body into a thing of beauty.

And perhaps most importantly, I wasn't really doing any writing (other than of course the daily grind of newspaper articles which is my job).


This year, the times they are a-changing. I have managed, without inducing misery, diarrhoea, vomiting or anything else unpleasant, to lose a stone. Which is quite an achievement. And with that, some of my other issues seem to be falling into place. I've got my arse into gear to write two short stories which I've entered into writing competitions**. And I think I am beginning to see some progress on the job front.

It's almost as if by taking control of one thing which I always knew I had control over, my weight, I have managed to wrestle back some order and meaning into my life - like a kind of knock-on effect. Having the blog has helped too - it forces me to write regularly outside work, and read some inspirational writing from other people. Equally, you quite frequently read god-awful bilge which reinforces the knowledge I have, deep down inside, that I am a good writer.

So please continue to leave encouraging comments and the occasional kick-up the backside asking me what writing I'm doing.

*Well, obviously it wasn't my best efforts or it would have worked, but you know what I mean.
**I may, at some stage, post some of these on here, but am currenrtly undecided due to various copyright/professional anxiety issues.

More on that story later.

8 Comments:

Blogger mig bardsley said...

Encouraging kicks? Consider them done :)

5/4/06 6:44 pm  
Blogger Holly said...

Good luck with the writing comps!

5/4/06 7:28 pm  
Blogger starbender said...

Okay, I'll bite,
What writing R U doing?
:)

6/4/06 6:22 am  
Blogger Dave said...

'you quite frequently read god-awful bilge which reinforces the knowledge I have, deep down inside, that I am a good writer.'

That would be the reason for listing blogs on your sidebar, presumably, so that you can find these terribly-written blogs easily whenever you need encouragement?

[Fairly obvious, really, because you've forgotten to put mine there.]

6/4/06 7:43 am  
Blogger frangelita said...

Ooh, get you Dave! I do like your blog. I have just been able to summon up the effort to update my bloglist since I discovered it. Will put it on my to do list:-)

6/4/06 9:32 am  
Blogger Dave said...

Oh well, in that case...

6/4/06 11:20 am  
Blogger surly girl said...

oi oi, frangelita.

can you drop me an email via the address in my profile? couple of questions for you.....

6/4/06 11:25 am  
Blogger Kellycat said...

Very well done on the weight loss love (from one skinny bitch to another!)We will soon be the kind of girls on the beach that we used to hate.

I've just got 5lbs to go...

7/4/06 7:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home