Thursday, August 17, 2006

Role reversal

I'm at my parents house tonight because I have a dentist's appointment tomorrow and was looking forward to having a good chinwag with my lovely mother but sadly it was not to be.

When I arrived, the house was in darkness (well, downstairs anyway, my Dad waved at me from his upstairs office) and my Dad had to come down to let me in. Mum, I was told, was sick. An unusual occurence.

When I went upstairs to see her she was all sad and cold and poorly and wrapped up in a quilt. I had to keep getting her extra blankets because she was still cold. Poor mum. I hate being ill, I don't hold with it. Neither does she, so she must be feeling pretty bloody awful to retreat to her bedroom.

Mum is a bit like she is in the morning when she's poorly. My dad says we're both dreadful morning people. This is not true, we're just not really awake or in the mood for singing loudly and eating lots of fatty eggs and bacon just yet. I think she's rather sweet and fuzzy in the morning and nice to hug. But I'm not supposed to hug her too closely or I might get her ailment.

It's a shame though, I don't see her as much as I would like and we were going to have brunch tomorrow. I hate the expression brunch, but love the concept. It's not really breakfast, because I have the dentist at 9.15am and don't want to get bacon stuck between my teeth because he won't like that. And I have another appointment elsewhere at 2pm so I'm going to be driving at actual lunchtime. Maybe I'll just have a bagel.

In other news, I hired a car for the first time today. It was very exciting, I felt all grown-up. And a little scared about signing bits of paper promising to pay lots of money if I ended up smashing it into a brick wall. Not that I'm in the habit of doing that, you understand. It's just I've never driven a Kia before, it sounds more like a children's drink than a car.

Ooh, hot topic. Kia Ora or Five Alive? Haven't tasted either in years, but I remember Five Alive being the bomb (not sure if anyone actually says that, thought I would slip it in and see what response I get. If any).

Anyway, my father has fallen asleep in front of a very bizarre programme called Time Truck (I think) and my mother is all curled up in about eight different blankets. I'd best see if they're okay.

More on that story later.

8 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I too despise being sick. I feel helpless and don't like not being in control of my body. Damn those germs.

However, I'm definately a morning person. Bring on the giant breakfast with the greasy eggs, bacon, lots of toast, coffee, sliced tomatoes....mmm, I'm getting hungry.

18/8/06 2:05 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, hope she feels better soon! xx

18/8/06 8:29 am  
Blogger mig bardsley said...

It's such a pain being ill. makes me very cross but it was lovely to see you anyway (if a trifle blearily :)
And thanks for the tea and sympathy :)

18/8/06 2:47 pm  
Blogger Annie said...

Um...

Um Bongo, Um Bongo, they drink it in the Congo.

The others don't even come close.

18/8/06 3:54 pm  
Blogger CT said...

I think it's ok to use the phrase 'the bomb' and you got away with it in this post!

Never liked Kia Ora (it's too orangey for crows) but did love the green Five Alive but not the one in the pink carton. Oh and yes Um Bongo was yummy!

18/8/06 7:11 pm  
Blogger Kellycat said...

Um Bongo was not a patch on Moonshine (looks pretty weird but it tastes just fine...)

I think your dad was watching Time Trumpet.

19/8/06 9:08 am  
Blogger frangelita said...

How could I forget Um Bongo? It was the best! At the same sort of time, there was some kind of gloopy chocolate moussy yogurt type thing with an advert which had cartoon hippos mud-bathing. Can anyone remember what it was called?

Oh, and they sang to Mud, Glorious, Mud.

Yes, Kellycat, it was Time Trumpet. It actually made me giggle quite a lot.

19/8/06 7:02 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

Well done with the catching yesterday. Do you want the job permanently? - only Richard is back now. Send me a few muffins if you want to sway my decision.

20/8/06 4:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home