Sunday, August 06, 2006

Guilty pleasures

I am sitting on my sofa watching Clueless. I realise this is not the coolest film - nor, I suspect, the wittiest dialogue, or best acting and direction. But it's one of those films that I can just watch again and again. Preferably with a large tub of Ben and Jerrys. Although, these days, it's more likely to be a carrot.

Add to that list of embarrassing but ace films Dirty Dancing, Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion, Bring it On, Save the Last Dance, Bridget Jones, Wimbledon and other such nonsense.

I don't really think of myself as a girlie girl but the above would seem to suggest otherwise. I can explain some of those because I love all that dancing and gymnastics, but I should have put some more cool films on that list. Is the Lost boys more cool? No? It's got Kiefer Sutherland in it, surely that gets some brownie points...

Anyway, I need to get back to Clueless, it's freakin' hilarious. I probably shouldn't say freakin' either. Oh well, who wants to be cool. I'm going in search of the Ben and Jerrys...


More on that story later.

14 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Normally I'm more of the action/drama/documentary/horror type gal (such a tomboy) but part of me gets a secret guilty pleasure out of a similar piece of girlie fluff - Legally Blonde.

6/8/06 11:08 pm  
Blogger frangelita said...

Yeah, I love that one too. There are too many to list, it's quite shameful.

7/8/06 9:57 am  
Blogger Dave said...

I'm back blogging. You may be interested in the cricket statistics over at my place.

7/8/06 11:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Lost Boys is definitely cool. Saying freakin' most definitely isn't.

7/8/06 12:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm confused. Just which part of Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion is ace?

I'll give you The Lost Boys in the cool stakes. Oh, that and Bring It On because it's so ... umm ... well acted and shot ... [mind wanders off as it starts to think about cheer leaders]

7/8/06 11:08 pm  
Blogger mig bardsley said...

I only ever seem to watch films in the middle of the night (while I'm waking Barney up to send him upstairs to bed after he's fallen asleep in front of a good programme) and I never remember to find out what they're called.
I liked Chocolat though. (have I spelt that right?)

8/8/06 1:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chocolat is a wondrous film, splendid styling and colouring as well as the delicious Mr Depp who I'd quite like to dip in chocolat.

8/8/06 10:10 am  
Blogger frangelita said...

Ooh, Johnny Depp dipped in Chocolat. I can't think of anything more delicious.

In my defence, there are lots of thought provoking, intellectually stimulating films that I like to watch as well. This was about guilty pleasures - things to zone out to on a Sunday afternoon.

That said, the "best film ever made" Citizen kane, bored me to tears and I detested 2001: A Space Odyssey because nothing happened. There was about a 20 minute section that got interesting, then it was back to weird shit again.

8/8/06 10:22 am  
Blogger Annie said...

Kiefer Sutherland was in something before 24?

8/8/06 1:48 pm  
Blogger Karen said...

While not a really girlie movie, I also have to admit that one of my favourites is "Goonies".

8/8/06 6:58 pm  
Blogger mig bardsley said...

Aren't these actually comfort films?
And I just thought, I like that pirate thing with Johnny Depp. I think I would probably like Johnny Depp dipped in chocolate too :)

9/8/06 1:15 am  
Blogger patroclus said...

Romy and Michele's High School Reunion is indeed ace (especially the 'let's fold scarves!' bit right at the end), as is Clueless. Chocolat, on the other hand, is umitigated rubbish. I couldn't even watch it to the end, despite the fact it's got Johnny Depp in it.

10/8/06 9:45 pm  
Blogger frangelita said...

Wow, it must really have got on your nerves if you couldn't look past it to drool over Johnny Depp, P. I'm not sure I could watch it again now after seeing the Lurpak advert rip-off of it, mind you. Maybe just the bits with Johnny Depp in them.

11/8/06 9:32 am  
Blogger Tabby Rabbit said...

Aww - I was just going to comment on the 'Let's fold scarves' bit but P beat me to it ;-)

13/8/06 4:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home