Wednesday, July 19, 2006

A cry for help

I am calling on all my readers (all three of you) for your assistance in a difficult dilemma.

Okay, I may have slightly overegged that, but the situation is this. I have booked flights to Thailand for the second half of October, where I will be staying with my boyfriend for two weeks. We are planning, for the most part, to sort out our accommodation while we're out there but would quite like to book our first night in Bangkok.

Where should we stay? We are decidedly not rich (I'll play the journalist/archaeologist card one more time here) and I at least am not massively fussy. HF is slightly more so. What I'm after is suggestions for somewhere to stay for approximately three nights, as I anticipate this will be the longest I can take the most polluted city in the world for.

Our requirements are as follows - somewhere reasonably central so that we can get to all the sights without too much difficulty, I'm thinking either Banglamphu or Chinatown or somewhere slightly further from the sites but well linked with the sky trains or what have you. I can stomach a little shabby, but secure, clean and with a separate bathroom which is not home to cockroaches are a minimum of what I need. I also feel a mattress which is sleepable would also be quite vital. I am also keen to be in a location where the famous night markets are within easy access. And the clincher - seeing as it is Bangkok, cheap as chips, I don't want to spend more than £25 per night tops.

I have been reading reviews of a place called Buddy Lodge (was nearly put off by the name) in Khao San Road which sounds pretty good as it's right in the thick of things but a nice "boutique" style place. Any thoughts?

Anyway, leaving Bangkok aside, we are then planning to head south to the Islands for sun, sand and snorkelling. I am reading very mixed reports of what the weather will be like in various places in the second half of October. Is anyone out there familiar enough with all the monsoons to make an educated suggestion? I've got my eye on Koh Tao in the Gulf of Thailand but don't want to go there if it will be too rainy/stormy to enjoy the idyllic, deserted snorkelling.

I realise I am going to get rained on at some point and that's fine, I just want to know that I will be able to get some sun and beach-lying and be able to make boat crossings without fearing for my safety and swimming without risk of drowning. The appeal of Koh Tao is that it's a little bit off the beaten track so you still get quite deserted beaches, views of big lumps of rock in the ocean, and nice foresty mountains to climb.

Any help much appreciated.

More on that story later.

Tags: , , , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

As you called on all your readers, i felt compelled to reply.

Sadly, I know nothing that will be of any use to you.

If you fancied a day at the seaside in North Norfolk, on the other hand...

19/7/06 12:00 pm  
Blogger Annie said...

Sorry, I can't help.

I only know about: Iceland, Ireland, and Dolwyddelan.

19/7/06 12:27 pm  
Blogger frangelita said...

I actually did have a day at the seaside in North Norfolk at Hunstanton the other day. It was very nice. Although sitting in a traffic jam for approximately an hour with the baking sun was less nice.

Annie - so Dolwyddelan, is it worth a quick visit then? Where's that in Thailand?

19/7/06 12:53 pm  
Blogger Karen said...

My brother and his wife (who's family is from Thailand) were married there in 2000 (or was it 2001?). I've sent them an email to see if they remember the hotel(s) they stayed at in Bangkok during their month in Thailand. I'll keep you posted! Sounds like a wonderful trip!

19/7/06 1:23 pm  
Blogger mig bardsley said...

Sorry, no use at all, me.

Now if you'd said China or Australia or possibly the Antarctic.....

I still wouldn't be any use.

19/7/06 8:12 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

You came to North Norfolk and didn't call in to see me?

*Walks off in a huff, pondering dropping a certain young lady from the team on Saturday*

20/7/06 7:42 am  
Blogger frangelita said...

Well Dave, I did keep an eye out for a certain man with a big mustache and glasses, but you were nowhere to be seen.

20/7/06 10:19 am  
Blogger frangelita said...

Cigar, not glasses.

20/7/06 10:21 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, no help from me either.

20/7/06 12:15 pm  
Blogger Karen said...

Ok, so my sister in law emailed me back. They think the hotel they stayed at was called the River, Royal River or the River City hotel? Wow, that's a lot of help isn't it? However, they also remembered that it was on the south side of the Chaoprayah River - they stayed there because it was close to family and they got a discount. Sorry. I guess I wasn't as much help as I was hoping I could be.

21/7/06 5:44 pm  
Blogger Urban Chick said...

LOL at your 'lucky bitch' tag!!

sorry, no help on the bangkok hotels - i only ever saw the airport :)

23/7/06 12:47 pm  
Blogger GreatSheElephant said...

no help with hotels (can't remember the name and probably not what you were after anyhow) but make sure you get a massage at Wat Po

30/7/06 11:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home