Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Kitchen Nightmares

I like to think I'm pretty good in the kitchen. I make a pretty damn good risotto and a selection of bitchin' curries. But there have been some rather embarrassing moments on my way to culinary excellence.

I was pondering the differences between someone who is intelligent, someone who is clever, someone who knows a lot, and someone who has common sense. A good example of lack of common sense is demonstrated by some events which have taken place in the kitchen under my fair hand.

Here, in no particular order, are a catalogue of some of the woeful events that could probably have been avoided by a dash of common sense:

*Put a tinned curry in the microwave - in its tin (what? We didn't have a microwave at home and no-one told me you couldn't put metal in the microwave).
*Set light to a pair of oven gloves by leaving it on top of a switched on electric hob - twice in less than a month.
*Failed to properly secure the valve on the top of a pressure cooker and sprayed the ceiling with bright, red tomato stew.
*Cracked a beautiful hand cast, hand glazed ceramic casserole my friend had brought me back from Bosnia after putting it directly on the hob.
*Finely chopped some bird-eye chillies without any protective gloves or similar and burnt my hands so badly with the capsicum I had to keep them in luke-warm water for about two days.
*Curdled a milk-based sauce by attempting to make it go a bit further by adding some wine.
*Left a rice pan boiling, only returning when there was no water left and the rice was a blackened, stodgy mess at the bottom which took me an hour to scrub off.

And on a related theme, when I worked at a supermarket once, I watered the dry flowers.

To make me feel less bad about the whole thing, I asked a colleague about the stupidest thing he ever did in a kitchen and I think his is even better.

He stabbed himself in the hand with a red-hot skewer while trying to pierce a conker. He was 24 at the time. He also left some eggs boiling once and didn't remember about them until he smelt the smoke.

You'll be pleased to know that none of the above was sufficiently disastrous for me to seek medical attention or call out the fire brigade.

But there's always time...

Now, spill the beans, what's the silliest thing you've ever done in a kitchen situation?

8 Comments:

Blogger GreatSheElephant said...

trying to have sex straight after chopping chillies

24/2/06 2:36 pm  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

well, let's see....I've cut myself a lot; I've burned myself a lot.....
probably the plain stupidest thing I've ever done was smack my brother David with a glass in my hand.
Ended up with 3 stitches in my palm. You can see it clearly, a tidy line scar with three dot scars on either side. A good reminder not to belt someone unless you're hands are empty. But then, I've never yet met someone who can aggravate me as much as my brother :-)

p.s. this was 30 years ago. I like to think I'm a bit smarter now!

24/2/06 8:37 pm  
Blogger mig bardsley said...

Melted three kettles in a row when I lived in Bristol. Within the space of a month. I *hate* kettles that whistle so I left the whistle off.
Oh and frequently pouring the boiling water into the wrong receptacle, ie, the sugar bag, the coffee jar, the tea caddy and on one occasion, my tobacco tin.

By the way, you forgot putting the butter on top of the toaster to soften it....but you were a bit younger then :)

26/2/06 11:54 pm  
Blogger mig bardsley said...

Oh but your father takes the biscuit.
He left the grill switched on when he went away for the weekend. With the door shut. Fortunately I came home earlier than usual :)

26/2/06 11:59 pm  
Blogger starbender said...

Mmmmm...,
I Luv 2 cook!
I have a fantasy of
opening a Bed & Breakfast....
JUST SO I CAN COOK 4 PEOPLE!
;]

27/2/06 10:19 am  
Blogger Fuckkit said...

Well I'm banned from all kitchen for fear of all of the above. However my girlfriend is a chef.

Cashback ;)

27/2/06 10:45 pm  
Blogger Spinsterella said...

Chillies and non-applicator tampons.

Not a good combination.

1/3/06 12:25 pm  
Blogger susan said...

i tried to melt chocolate in the microwave at work, to dip strawberries in. i left it to goto the restroom and when i came back the microwave was smoking. i didn't know the chocolate would melt so fast and was so sensitive. it burned through the plastic container. the whole department smelled burned for the rest of the day and i hid in my cubicle.

oh yeah, and i roasted a chicken upside down once and was scratchin my head about why there was no breast meat.

hehe.

1/3/06 9:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home