Monday, February 06, 2006

Lots and lots of cooking

I have been very industrious in the kitchen over the last few days. I'm not entirely sure why this is, but it all started when I had a craving for hummus.

So I went to the sandwich shop downstairs and had a brown bap with hummus and sweetcorn (which, by the way, is a combination I very much recommend). This merely fuelled by desire for more hummus. Rather than buy it at £2.10 a pop, I decided to make some of the yummy stuff and nicked a recipe from squeezeweasel at www.gastronomydomine.blogspot.com
This was rather time-consuming (due largely to the general cheap-and-bought from Tesco-ness of my blender) but really quite therapeutic.

Then I had to make other half a delicious birthday meal (bruschette con mozzarella, chicken pepperonata and hot citrus pudding - his choice), which involved very VERY fine chopping of shallots and garlic (no, not the pudding). Again, therapeutic, although it did make me cry a bit.

I got a bit carried away with all this cookery lark and decided I was going to make some guacomole. This was on Sunday, and we had eaten a large lunch with my parents who were visiting, so OH got a bit over-excited and suggested we buy some salsa, tortilla chips and have a bit of a nacho fest.

No, I declared, we still have tomatoes so I will make salsa! I exclaimed. And I did. Mashing avocadoes - very enjoyable. Lots more very fine chopping for the salsa and the guacomole. Mmmm.

I wanted to involve the hummus in this somehow but OH was not keen and I kind of see his point, so we just spread out the Doritos (yeah, I'm not clever enough to make those myself), grated some cheese over them, grilled it until it melted then put dollops of guacomole, salsa and low fat greek yogurt on the top.

MMMMmmm, pure deliciousness.

I feel all this chopping, mashing and blending may be less therapeutic when you are really, really hungry. Although I rarely get to the point when I am so hungry I would eat raw onion, however, I did accidentally eat a small piece of raw garlic thinking it was cheese. More fool me.

Question - why is it when I make anything remotely fancy, while it tastes gorgeous (usually) it looks rubbish? My salsa was virtually brown. Hey ho.

BTW, my Mum told me I looked "elegant" in silhouette and she thought I had lost weight. But she knows I'm on the hypnosis diet so I'm not sure it counts ;-)

4 Comments:

Blogger mig bardsley said...

No it doesn't count...I did think you looked slimmer but maybe I was just looking harder than usual!
Yes, what is hot citrus pudding...I want some! why didn't you have some ready for us when we visited???
: obviously some delicious Eastern European snack. have you got any of that?

7/2/06 2:26 am  
Blogger mig bardsley said...

Oh! i cut instead of copying. Kfrabiak :)

7/2/06 2:27 am  
Blogger starbender said...

I feel left out!
What is Hummus?
Bruschette con mozzarella?
Chicken pepperonata?
Hot citrus pudding?
Hmmm???
Ahh... Doritos! Mmmm,
now those sound really good- only I would have 2 skip the yogurt-and smother with sour cream!!!
:)

7/2/06 7:17 am  
Blogger frangelita said...

Sherbert - hot citrus pudding was on a recipe card I picked up from Waitrose. Basically it was sort of a spongey thing with lots of lemon and lime which separated in the oven to have a sort of lemony custard sauce at the bottom. Very yummy.
Mum - you wouldn't have had time or space what with our catalan extravaganza
Starbender - Hummus is a really yummy dip made with chickpeas, garlic, lemon and tahini (which is a sort of sesame seed paste) and tastes scrummy with pita bread. Chicken pepperonata is chicken pieces with a red green and yellow pepper, onion and tomato sauce, Bruschette con mozzarella is toast with garlic, finely chopped tomato and onion, basil and mozarella cheese on top.
If you're ever in this neck of the woods I'll knock you some up ;-)

7/2/06 12:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home