Saturday, March 24, 2007

An unexpected turn of events

I decided it was about time to get my hair sorted this week. So on Tuesday I bought me some lovely red hair dye and dyed the hair, all good. Although no-one at work noticed.

Then, on advice from a colleague, I booked in an appointment for this afternoon to get my hair cut. I went in, told the woman what I wanted done, got my hair shampooed, still all good. So Michelle sat me down and started combing through my hair. I'd been out last night, and was thinking how nice it was to get a bit of pampering. Michelle was fairly quiet, which I was reasonably pleased about as I've never been good at that hair salon small talk.

Then she asked me if I worked with children. I was intrigued - once a hairdresser ascertained that I did a lot of swimming because there was chlorine damage in my hair - what was it about me that suggested, incorrectly I worked with kids?

Unfortunately, there's only one hair-related thing that suggests children - nits.

She was silent for a while, then told me discreetly I had headlice.

What? How on earth did I get headlice? I just sat there, not quite sure how to take this news. Speculating how I caught the bloody things. I wasn't even itchy. Fortunately, it turned out I didn't have any actual lice, just dead eggs. Urrggh.

Michelle very politely told me that there were very strict rules which meant she couldn't blow dry my hair as she would have to use the brushes, and she shouldn't really cut it but she was going to anyway.

So now I've got a slightly tingly scalp after vigorously Full Marks-ing it - but no signs of any leftover eggs. It's just so unbelievably gross. It also means that I've ended up washing my hair a rather illogical three times today (it stank of fags from last night so I washed it quickly before I went to the hairdressers). On the plus side, the haircut looks quite nice.

I suspect I may have picked it up after borrowing someone's hat last week (someone with long hair and a girlfriend who has dreadlocks). I know it doesn't make me dirty or anything but it still kind of freaks me out.

Oh well. Have washed all my cushion covers and bedding now. And am reluctant to put on any of my many hats.

More on that story later.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger mig bardsley said...

Can you catch them from toilet seats? Or is that just athlete's foot? I can't quite remember :)
(remember the trouble we had getting head-of-the-family to put stuff on his head when all the rest of us got them. Of course in those days the stuff was extraordinarily nasty and pungent - everyone for miles around could tell what you'd got!)

25/3/07 12:57 am  
Blogger frangelita said...

I think you could only get them from toilet seats if you stuck your head down the toilet. Which is fairly unusual behaviour.

25/3/07 12:51 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

I have now fumigated my computer screen, so I think I'm safe.

25/3/07 12:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just, you know, um, out of interest, can they jump? If so, how far?

25/3/07 9:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home