Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I don't like mushrooms

This is surprisingly difficult for some people to comprehend or accept.

I'm not about to change my mind about this. I've never liked them, and throughout my life I have tried them in various forms to see if my opinions have changed. They haven't.

So why do some people keep trying to force me to eat them? Not in a tying me down stuffing down my face kind of way (socially unacceptable in almost all communities, except perhaps college frat parties), but in a much more subversive, difficult to avoid way.

My sister is on a mission to convince me that I actually like them. So she chops them up into the sauce of things, really small, and when I ask her suspiciously if there are any mushrooms in there, she outright lies about it. I don't understand her logic. Why would she be so eager to make me eat something which I clearly don't want to? I don't think it's punishment, although it's hard to be sure with siblings.

I think this dogmaticness runs in my family somewhat - my dad is equally convinced that if I just gave them a try, I would miraculously discover that I don't find them slimey, unpleasantly mushy and just generally unpalatable. Both my dad and my sister will argue their point to the death and seem to find it hard to accept that there is any other viewpoint. I mean, my sister doesn't like pancakes and my dad doesn't really like pasta, but I'm not going to try to convert them to the way of the egg or the spaghetti. What's the point?

There is no particular reason for this post, by the way, no-one has made me eat mushrooms recently (as far as I'm aware, I'm not discounting night-time forcefeeding while I'm asleep), but I did mention to my brother on our round the country road-trip how much I hated the dreaded funghi and he seemed to find that pretty hard to accept.

As for the round the country trip, it was pretty cool, lots of good views and good food. Mmmm. I won't bore you with it. I might put some pix up on flickr as soon as I can get round to it.

In other news, I'm watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer DVDs somewhat incessantly at the moment and have developed a huge crush on both Spike (despite the dodgy accent) and Seth Green. Mmmm. Not Angel though, except when he's evil.

More on that story later.

13 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Amen Frangelita! I too am an ardent mushroom hater. I hate that they're in just about everything and it seems that everyone loves them but me. They're tasteless fungus - I don't eat the mold growning on old bread why would I eat something that grows in poop? Ick ick ick. Plus they squeak against my teeth when I bite into one....I call it squidginess. I'm getting grossed out just thinking about it.

6/9/06 2:09 am  
Blogger Karen said...

PS: Welcome back! I'm sure I'm not the only one who's missed your great sense of humor and wit.

6/9/06 2:10 am  
Blogger mig bardsley said...

How lucky that you don't like them though. 'Cos if you did like them you'd have to eat them and you'd hate that.
As for your Dad...he's prone to saying "yes it's got chilli in it but it's not hot" which just goes to show how unreliable he is.
I love mushrooms though.

6/9/06 3:03 am  
Blogger Dave said...

'dogmaticness' dogmatism?

I hate mushrooms too.

6/9/06 7:46 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like them and they are best picked on a full moon. And yes, we want pictures.

6/9/06 9:34 am  
Blogger Wyndham said...

Angel just looks like a lunkhead to me, the kind of guy who's been wandering the centuries accumulating knowledge and life-experiences and has thought, fuck it, I'll act like a mediocre LA actor, no one will notice.

6/9/06 2:37 pm  
Blogger Lorna said...

I do like chestnut and shitake mushrooms, as they're not so slimy as the normal kind. Of course, it also give me the oportunity for Phoenix Nights-style shouts of "Shit ache? Shit ache mushrooms?"

Pardon me for lowering the tone...

6/9/06 6:36 pm  
Blogger Liz said...

I'm afraid I really, really love mushrooms. Wouldn't force the things on people though; that'd be rude. And it's pretty obvious to even those of us who love the things that their texture is pretty...singular.

6/9/06 8:44 pm  
Blogger frangelita said...

Thank you Karen, that's so sweet *blushes*
Lorna - I used to work in the fruit and veg section at Sainsburys. The number of people who did indeed think they were shit ache mushrooms...

Oh, and feel free to lower the tone. Or tome, as I almost put.

7/9/06 8:33 pm  
Blogger Lorna said...

Thank you! To paraphrase John Lewis, I am never knowingly understated.

Oh, and hurrah for Spike, I say! Mmm...bleachy.

8/9/06 8:58 am  
Blogger mig bardsley said...

*their texture is pretty...singular* LOL.

(Fran, I've sent you an email.)

8/9/06 12:10 pm  
Blogger CT said...

I can take or leave mushrooms. I don't like the fact that they can become quite slimy and horrid when cooked...maybe i dislike them more than i thought.

8/9/06 7:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a veggie mushrooms are inflicted on me in like every restaurant! I'm not flipping fussed on them to be frank, they just look like grey floppy cat ears most of the time that have been fried and cannot believe that in this day in age chefs cannot be just a tad bit more inventive!

I'm jumping on your mushroom-rant-bandwagon! Make room for me! lol

19/9/06 10:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home