Monday, April 16, 2007

Sensible shoes

My parents' barn dance band is called Sensible Shoes. Because you need to wear sensible shoes at a barn dance.

Barn dances are not the only place where it pays to be sensible when deciding what to wear. Another example is cycling (I never, ever used to blog about cycling, I don't know what's happened to me, I'm doing it all the time now).

Some of you may have noticed it was a trifle hot this weekend. I was supposed to meet E at church halfway across the city yesterday morning. I was going to cycle, as I have got in the habit of doing, but I also wanted to wear a skirt. It felt summery, and I like wearing skirts, it makes me feel like a girl.

However, cycling in a skirt is something of a challenge. I figured if I wore my sort of big circular skirt, I could tuck it up on both sides. This did not prove to be true. You kind of cycle along clutching between your legs so you don't give passersby a bit more than they bargained for. I'm told the thing to do is peg your skirt together. I'm unconvinced. Also, I have no pegs.

I cycled to work today in a different skirt. This one just rode right up in a rather alarming fashion. I arrived at work this morning on my bike wearing my skirt before dismounting rather inelegantly. One of the sub-editors was arriving at the same time, fully kitted up in some kind of special thermal cycling trousers, one of those sweat reducing jackets and a charming helmet. There was a definite disparity in our appearances. I saw him later and he looked far more normal, so I assume he must have changed. Not sure which is worse - potentially flashing your knickers at the world, or turning up in something akin to cycling shorts and having people at work seeing me like that.

Hmmm. Well, I'm driving to work tomorrow ( have to be at work obscenely early and I don't trust myself not to cycle into the river by mistake) so I don't need to worry about it then. Suggestions?

In other news, I may have chosen a church and reception venue for my wedding. I have no idea if either of these places will allow me to have the wedding there, but I have actually made initial inquiries. And met another priest.

More on that story later.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home