Sunday, December 24, 2006

It must be Christmas

Season's greetings one and all. I am home for Christmas, having successfully managed to fill my not-really-new car up with what seemed like dozens of boxes of belongings, negotiate the holiday traffic including the lovely M25 and M4, and, more to the point, successfully pacify my father and grandfather with ample hugs, tea, gin and tonic to finally be left alone for five minutes.

Christmas at home is all very well - lots of presents and festive foods that you don't have to pay for, but it's all a bit stressful. The house, rather than echoing with merry laughter and the joyous cries of people opening presents, tends to ring to the sound of my dad swearing at the giant rib of beef he has inexplicably ordered to feed five because the meat thermometer says it's still not warm after eight hours of cooking. Then there's the fact that there are (currently) three rather tender male egos to be massaged and not rubbed up against each other in the wrong way. Then there was the fact that my second Christmas do was on Friday night and three glasses of wine seemed to cause a pretty much permanent headache the following day.

On the plus side, I get to show off my ring to all my parents friends so they can all go "ooh" and "aah" ( actually, no-one's really done that) and there is as much booze and chocolate as I could possibly consume. And it has been a pretty fab year so there's a lot to talk about.

It's just...I'm really tired and I think what I actually want to do is spend the next couple of days in bed. But I don't think anyone is going to bring me turkey and baileys in bed. It's worth a try, mind you...

More on that story later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Now just you have a simply wonderful time, do you hear me?

24/12/06 10:08 pm  
Blogger mig bardsley said...

Aaw Frangelita, you should have said. I'd have smuggled a slice of turkey and a glass of Baileys up :)

And I did go ooh at least once and you did very very well with the egos.

28/12/06 1:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home