Monday, July 03, 2006

Post-moving depression

Well, as predicted, I did cry once just a little bit on moving. This was because the washing machine (which looks brand new and was already in the place) failed to drain, so I had to spend half an hour wringing out my clothes by hand. This upset me most because when I moved into the last place I spent about two months waiting for the stupid washing machine man to a) figure out what was wrong with it b) bring the correct parts and c) actually fix it and I just couldn't take the thought of going through the whole thing again. So when HF said "we can do x y and z" I said, "no HF, I'm not doing it, you can do it". Which didn't go down well. Apparently, he's permitted to be moody and have little temper tantrums but I'm not allowed to have one bloody strop. It possibly didn't help that I discovered this problem during the England Portugal match. He perked up after buying a pizza from some takeaway (really quite foul and over-cheesed) which, rather worryingly, had a picture of a horse on its front window.

Apart from that, I found the whole experience of moving quite hilarious. Maybe I was just weak from dehydration and heat exhaustion, but us wandering the streets of Newmarket with various items balanced on our heads seemed very funny to me. I suppose all the cleaning liquids we used to make our old flat pristine may have had some slight effect on me as well. HF was just grumpy.

HF - It's not going to come off.
Me - Yes it will, just give me the Cif.

A few moments pass.

HF - Have you actually removed the paint from the wall?
Me - Err, yes. But they'll never know.

Later.

HF - It's not going to work, it's too big.
Me - Hang on and give me that screw driver. And lift the bed so I can get my head under.

A few moments pass.

HF - That leg's not going to carry the weight, it'll split all those slats.
Me - What? Just give me that screw driver and the hammer. And stick your bag under there.

A few moments pass.

Me - See, we can carry it like this.
HF - Hmmph.

Later still.

HF, looking at some black marks on the new wall which have mysteriously appeared since transporting various items of furniture upstairs - I have no idea if this is going to come off.
Me - Of course it will. Give me a hug.

Are you getting the picture of who is the eternal optimist and who is the pessimist in this relationship?

Missy the moggy has been moved - after lots of unsuccessful attempts to coax her into the catbox, I put the box on the side, picked up the cat and pointed her head in the direction of it and she walked straight in. Ha. I am a genius.

I was going to talk about issues with tables and televisions but I think it may need a post to itself.

More on that story later.

2 Comments:

Blogger mig bardsley said...

LOL! You know I see a pattern here. But you seem to have the pessimism nicely under control :)
I so wish I could have been there (with the camera, of course, not actually doing anything useful).
Also wish I could send you my washing machine man but I don't think he'd travel that far. Shame.

How do you do hearts again? I've forgotten again :)
xx

3/7/06 11:18 pm  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

moving is always trying! congrats on getting it done.

7/7/06 10:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home