Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Low maintenance

We were watching Big Brother last night (I make no apologies but I was doing other stuff at the same time) and HF was going absolutely spare at the waste of space that is "Nicky" who is the very definition of the word high maintenance. He was extremely angry at how shallow she was. I asked him if he thought I was high maintenance and he rather sweetly said I wasn't at all (apart from obviously needing constant reassurance, but no-one's perfect).

Anyway, so I'm a pretty low maintenance girl, I would say. I don't wear make-up to work. Or to the gym. I only in fact wear it when I am going out somewhere of an evening, which these days seems to be increasingly less frequently. And if I'm really doing myself up, I don't spend more than half an hour, tops (of course, if I'm drinking simultaneously it tends to take a bit longer due to all the redoing it after smearing mascara on my cheek and earlobe).

My skincare regime is pretty brief and while I obviously wash and condition my hair, I have no time for all these new-fangled treatments. I have recently discovered that actually, sometimes, I quite like straightening my hair. But if I can't be bothered, I just tie it back and try and detract from it with a slightly manic smile.

I never paint my nails, I don't do waxing (did it once at home, screamed, wasn't impressed with the results and vowed never to do it again) and only shave my legs infrequently in the winter.

I tend to ignore fashion unless it looks bitchin' on me (some things suit short and curvy - lots of things do not) so a lot of my clothes are pretty old and if I'm going somewhere I'm going to get hot and sweaty, or muddy, I wear something old, loose and comfortable, hang what it looks like.

For a long time I pretty much didn't bother cutting my hair (or got it cut at the student barbers who charged men or women a fiver to get snipped - bargain) but I am becoming quite fond of my crowning glory. I still don't get it cut every six months, do I look like I'm made of money? Could do with a trim right now though...

Anyhoo, getting to the point. As part of the old Paul McKenna weightloss thing, you have to visualise yourself at your ideal weight - and when I visualised myself, I had lovely reddish hair, much like it used to be when I used to dye it.

So I broached the subject at work, just, you know, to get a feeling for whether they looked shocked or horrified. There was a slightly uneasy silence.
Boss said: What would look really nice, frangelita, is if you got several different colours put in. But I've never seen someone who dyed their hair at home without thinking oh, they've dyed their own hair.
I countered with the price - she said oh, it would only cost about £70.

To me, that is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on your hair. Plus, it might look DREADFUL, and then having spent all that money you would feel duty-bound to say oh, thanks and keep schtum. I used to dye my hair and the worst thing that ever happened was I spilt red stuff on the carpet. Plus, my sister dyes her hair a different colour roughly every six weeks and it always looks really good (apart from when she was about 13 and used sun-in and turned her hair to straw).

So what do you think on home hair jobs? Good, bad or ugly? To see me with red hair (admittedly when I was about 15) turn to Quiet Pictures on the links on the side. I did that.

More on that story later.

6 Comments:

Blogger mig bardsley said...

If you want something wild and streaky and highlighted and astonishing don't even think about doing it yourself. but consider seriously what you're going to do six weeks later when it really doesn't work any more. If you just want colour, well, you did it, youngest did it I did it and it was fun. And it worked. Your grandmother bleached her own hair for years and it always looked wonderful.
So visualise yourself and try it gently. If it's good, try it a bit more aggressively...I bet it'll look lovely.

30/5/06 9:53 pm  
Blogger Liz said...

Oh pish. Go for it. In that you live relatively nearby, I shall even wander to a salon with you, if you like, to make sure you don't chicken out and tip your shampooist. After all; what's £70 other than 100 Mars Bars?

Dear God. I have memorised the cost of a Mars Bar.

30/5/06 10:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, I'm wavering on this one. I've never had the hair that was up for a serious colouring - you clearly have. If your sister's always looks good, why not get her to help you do it at home? There again, those wash-in things are pretty good as a 'see what it looks like' although not as strong a colour.

31/5/06 4:28 pm  
Blogger Annie said...

I used to home-dye my hair and thought it was just fine. But then I got it done once at the salon and now I'll never do it at home again. It's just so much more professional. Like the difference between restaurants who print their own menus with 5 different fonts in Word and restaurants who get menus made by a design agency.

31/5/06 9:51 pm  
Blogger wetnailvarnish said...

Home dye it, definitely. I always do mine, and have always dyed it a red colour. Personally, my only complaint with red home-dye is that despite buying dye with 'permanent' written in bold lettering on the front, it always fades. And it always fades to a lighter, gingery/auburn red which is often very unlike the colour it started as a month or two previously. I've desperately tried to combat this by choosing intense/darker reds ('black-red', 'morello cherry', 'scarlet passion' being some choice examples) so that they'll fade less - and even if they do fade, they are unlikely to turn ginger. Never works, my hair is determined to be chestnut/auburn/ginge. Its naturally a darkish brown.

Anyway - you should be fine so long as your hair doesnt have this apparent ginger homing device. And I HAVE had it done at the salon - I've had the lot over the years. Tone-on-tone, full colour, lo-lights, hi-lights, lo/hi lights with foils, lo/hi lights with the nasty rubbery cap thing (never again)...and overall my advice would be: dye it yourself this reddish colour. THEN if you decide its not quite right & you can scrape together enough monies, then get different coloured bits added over the top of your home-dye job here and there.
Thats what I'm doing - my hair is always home-dyed, and its currently awaiting a salon lo-lights jobby over the top. Its also crying out to be cut, but sadly I have no funds for either.

Have you ever had a models cut/colour at a swanky posh hairdressers? You really should consider it - very cheap and normally rather good.
I had mine done at Toni & Guy a couple of times and both were really good at the price I paid.
It is, admittedly, the trainees practising...but if its at a good enough hair salon, their very well-experienced supervisor is breathing down their neck/giving a helping hand as they do it, so its not too scary..

2/6/06 12:14 am  
Blogger wetnailvarnish said...

Wow. The size of that last comment is a blog entry in itself. Sorry about that, I get carried away on the subject of hair..

2/6/06 12:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home