Monday, June 12, 2006

Feeling hot

Sadly, on this occasion, the hot which I am feeling relates directly to my body temperature and not to my general foxiness.

Have just come back (well, last night) from a lovely weekend with my parents and two of my friends from home where I have been mostly so dehydrated I felt slightly groggy and hungover, or actually being hungover.
For a while I thought I was developing exciting new symptoms of something like hay fever (all the cool people get it), before realising I actually just had a cold. Hence the dehydration, constant sneezing and nose-running and frequent headaches.

Yes, I know I said it was a lovely weekend so I should probably explain why. My two best friends came over and my parents cooked a ridiculously huge barbecue (why is it that people eat about eight times as much at a barbecue as they would at any other time? Answers on a postcard...) I got my hair cut and it looked nice and the woman didn't even blow dry it so it looked like a mushroom (big and curled in on top, small and curled out at the bottom) and to top it all off there was lots of Pimms and lemonade.

Mmm, Pimms.

There was drinking and dancing and really only a small amount of falling over and we even met one of the girls we went to college with and have a nice chat. My sister turned up about 40 minutes after I expected her and she danced too. Not with me, though. We may both be in our twenties by now but neither of us is quite ready to surrender/share the limelight with each other. I am pleased to report that I wasn't sufficiently competitive that I did some ill-advised gymnastic manoeuvres in the bar (it would have been a wrong move as I would definitely have flashed my knickers and probably kicked several people in the head).

I also caused some consternation with my mother by telling her that me and HF had decided on a boys name that we both liked (I'm not telling you, you'll steal it). I'm not pregnant nor planning to be, I just like talking about names and such-like, but it did worry her for a moment, she's already got one grand-daughter and she's not quite ready for another.

I did inadvertantly cause a bit of a family rucus because my sister was supposed to be dying my hair. There was some work emergency (there always is) and she didn't show up or phone up and I had to leave and this rather infuriated my father - he has a very mercurial temper - who later apparently berated my sister for her "behaviour". So then I got an upset, possibly drunken phone call from her when I got home and had to fend that off. Oh well. So I'm going to have to dye it myself tonight. I hope I don't dye the floor instead, that could be rather difficult to deal with.

Other good things about this weekend - my sister immediately told me I had lost a lot of weight without prompting and my mum said I looked even slimmer than last time she saw me. And their bathroom scales say I've lost about another five/six pounds so ha!

I'm still fatter than my sister though and always will be.

More on that story later.

14 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Yay! I was supposed to be going out for the day with someone last wednesday, and she had to call it off because she had a cold. There must be a lot of it about.

12/6/06 5:48 pm  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

Yay for losing weight! and good job scaring your Mom, that's what you're supposed to do :-)

12/6/06 11:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for Pimms - next time, I want an invite! Yay for hair-dying for which we want pictures.

13/6/06 10:21 am  
Blogger frangelita said...

Thursday, you're always welcome to come drinking and dancing with me. I have no idea how far my parents neck of the woods is from yours though, so you'll just have to drop me a line on the e-mail and we can do that scary cyber meeting thing. My Dad would be pretty bemused though (the virtual world is barely even virtual as far as he's concerned).

13/6/06 12:43 pm  
Blogger Tabby Rabbit said...

>> why is it that people eat about eight times as much at a barbecue as they would at any other time? Answers on a postcard..>>>

Hey stranger! It's cos it brings out some primitive eat-while-you-can thing.

What colour are you going to dye your hair?

I've always been fatter (generally larger than my suster) - she got the petite genes...

13/6/06 6:29 pm  
Blogger Tabby Rabbit said...

sister. not 'suster'. I seem to have forgotten how to type...

13/6/06 6:29 pm  
Blogger Liz said...

Pimms is LETHAL. I don't know whether it's to do with the time of day it's usually drunk at, or to do with the fact that it tastes delicious and non-alcoholic, but I can't remember a single Pimms occasion over the last decade where I didn't embarrass myself by variously:

1) Trying to have sex with the hostess (strange this, in that I don't fancy women and neither does she)
2) Vomiting into an ice-bucket
3) Complaining at the lack of karaoke and singing anyway
4) Falling asleep in a bush
5) Mistaking a golden retriever for my dead grandmother (don't ask).

14/6/06 11:04 am  
Blogger frangelita said...

Wow, squeezeweasel, you must really hammer the Pimms! I've never done anything quite that interesting under the influence (of Pimms, that is, the things I have done under the influence generally deserve a post to themselves)

14/6/06 12:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crikey Frangelita, not sure I want to attend if Squeazeweasel's going to be there too - I'd hate competition.

14/6/06 12:40 pm  
Blogger surly girl said...

can i come too?

14/6/06 1:06 pm  
Blogger Kellycat said...

For Squeezeweasel and Pimms, see me and Surly and anything alcoholic with cranberry juice.

Can I come too?

14/6/06 7:16 pm  
Blogger frangelita said...

Ooh, do people actually want to meet? And spoil the illusion that we're all normal/borderline psychopaths? I've never done that before. Well, obviously I've met people, just not people with whom my sole relationship has been through a computer screen.
But hey, if we're talking Pimms/ alcohol+cranberry, who am I to say no...? Unless you're all just being funny in which case ignore me (probably best). My e-mail is on the sidebar if you're serious.

14/6/06 9:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well if it's the only way I get to see your bitchin' hair ...

15/6/06 11:08 am  
Blogger mig bardsley said...

Just so long as you don't do it when I'm away!
email on way :)

16/6/06 11:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home