Sunday, November 27, 2005

Top Gear and Harry Potter

I have been sort of watching Top Gear over my shoulder. I make no apologies for this.

I am no petrolhead but I do think Jeremy Clarkson is on occasion entertaining and I like watching celebrities driving round the test track .

However, I think it is actually a really quite irresponsible programme in that it encourages and glamourises dangerous driving.

The presenters are doubtless very talented, well-practised drivers who know exactly what they are doing - and have lots of safety back-up along with state-of-the-art vehicles. But the people watching it are probably in the main chavs who have souped-up Vauxhall Novas. And when they see the presenters cackling with glee at repeatedly breaking the speed limit and driving really on the edge - which does make for exciting viewing - will incite the more unreliable drivers to try and emulate their feats in their substandard vehicles with their inferior driving techniques. And that's when accidents happen.

I am quite a safe driver really. I only break the speed limit on motorways and in temporary speed limits and never by much. But I'm not desperately boring behind the wheel either, I'm bloody good at parking (less of the women driver comments please) and I do rev my way out of the car park if I'm in a good mood.

Am having a bit of a childish weekend. Just finished reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince for the second time which I feel was a mistake - not because I didn't want to but because I now really want to find out what happens in the end. OK, spoilers alert. I have some theories about the last book. They are all just theories which I think are being circulated fairly widely. One, Dumbledore isn't dead, he has just fooled everyone somehow. Two, Snape is actually a goodie after-all but was told by Dumbledore to do literally anything - to the point of murder - to make Voldemort believe he was truly a death eater. And the last one - I think the end of the book will be the combined death of both Voldemort and Harry Potter. I'm just not sure if JK Rowling is quite brave enough to kill him off. On rereading the book, I am actually less convinced about theories one and two - but I would be surprised if Harry survives the series.
Andy told me he thinks Dumbledore's alive - but then he also originally thought the Asian tsunami could have been a terrorist attack
The other childish thing I am about to do is watch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I read it when I was small and liked it. I have seen the film already - and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I can't make my mind up which I prefer. Maybe watching again will help me decide.
Over and out.

3 Comments:

Blogger mig bardsley said...

So,glad you're not a petrol head!
by the way I believe I read somewhere that rubber gloves will not protect you from electrocution via mains electricity.
But might induce complacency which could be a mistake!
Suggest you get him one of those gadgets which detects electric current in the walls.

28/11/05 10:40 am  
Blogger frangelita said...

We were in the boys toys section of Woolworths yesterday and I saw such a gadget. Andy said he didn't want it. I, however, was very excited by the soldering iron and the glue gun...

28/11/05 11:22 am  
Blogger Phoenix said...

Agree with the first two points about HP, not sure about the third tho for the same reasons....Is she afraid to kill the golden goose?....methiks not! ;-)

29/11/05 3:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home