Friday, November 25, 2005

Sleepless nights

I have slept very little the past two nights. Andy has been keeping me up. Not I hasten to add in a sexual or naughty way - no, he had a 'cold' also known as 'man flu'. Although to his credit, he never actually claimed it was flu.
he just coughed over my shoulder deliberately then to remind me that he is very, very ill.
If I'm ill, in general I refuse to accept it, plan to give myself an early night but instead get stuck in a book. And when I do go to bed I don't sleep hardly at all but however much I stir he snores away.
But I am only 5'3". This is pretty small. He is 6'2" and has unfeasibly long limbs which he thrashes around all night, hotly. And tops it off by coughing in my ear. Very irritating. Last night was particularly bad because our cat, Missy (very cute tabby moggie) has recently taken to attacking our feet completely unprovoked as we lie unwittingly in our beds. So Andy was kicking me awake and then Missy was keeping me in such a state by agressively going for my feet. Which are also quite small.
As a result of this, I shut her out at 4.30am last night (of the room, I'm not so sleep-deprived I would give the innocent pussy exposure)only to be kept awake by her scratching and mewing to get in.

I am just watching QI with lovely Stephen Fry and have learnt that the sexually rapacious Bonobo monkey is the happiest ape, despite its unfussy sexual proclivities. That is indeed, quite interesting.

The strange fact is that when you have missed some sleep its bloody difficult to get sleepy - tired, oh yes, but not sleepy. Just mind-numbingly awake. And pissed off with the slumbering 'ill' people next to you. Too ill to sleep in a considerate manner but not too ill to sneakily eat a whole packet of M&S profiteroles without saving me one. He is very naughty. I hope he doesn't continue with this tonight, I'm supposed to be coaching gymnastics to small children at 9am tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger mig bardsley said...

Only two ways to deal with this that I know of, one is to go away and have a cup of tea and a cig (or other small treat) and read a small amount of book in another room till you've got over the fury about bring kept awake. the other is to migrate for the night. This is extreme and depends for its success on your having a spare bed which will be comfy enough to sleep in.
Large volcanic sleepers are the devil...as you know I know :)

26/11/05 12:33 am  
Blogger starbender said...

The Flu is like Cryptonite to men!
:o

27/11/05 4:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home