Saturday, May 05, 2007

Ups and downs

It's been a weird couple of days. It started off with me feeling a touch despondent as I applied for a better job where I work about a month ago and I found out I didn't get it. I hadn't really expected to, but when I was told I had been unsuccessful I was actually a lot more disappointed than I thought I would be. The following day they announced who the successful candidate was - along with a major reshuffle of my department where everyone seemed to get a cool new job - except me. So, despite the fact that my editor was telling me I have a "future" it was all a bit depressing.

Then, later that same day, the ever-so-slightly slimey entertainment editor (that may or may not be his actual title) asked if he could have a word with me. Usually this means he wants you to do something. And he did.

To go to Malaysia for a week. On my own. For free. And go in tree canopies in the jungle and visit Kuala Lumpur, take pictures and generally have a blast.

Oh yeah, and that's going to be two weeks today. WTF??? I had already put my name down for the trip, as I do with all free trips going but I've never actually had one before. Very exciting! It does mean I am letting my mates down a touch as they're all spending the weekend I leave in a sh!t caravan in Newquay. But when I hesitated on that front, ents ed looked at me like I was completely bonkers. And I realised, fairly quickly, that it would indeed be fairly bonkers to turn it down.

So that improved my mood somewhat. Unsurprisingly. Then, I had been planning to go to some gig thing which was being filmed for a Channel 4 programme, had tickets but they were massively overbooked so it wasn't 100 per cent for sure.

Then Curtains gave me a phone number and told me to get myself on the list so I could make sure I was in and could write a wee story on it for the paper. While I was on the phone, he told me to tell the guy I would be taking his interview slot with one of the Oxford bands playing.

Okay...! So last night we went to this thing, got VIP passes which meant booze on tap (which I did not drink until after my interview, obviously, I'm a professional) got to wander around and see the bands from really bizarre angles and, obviously, interviewed the band. And got the lead singers mobile number. Just, you know, because. When I called Curtains asking what he needed copywise I sort of mentioned that we ended up in a bar on the Cowley Road, with the Foals, one of whom I was talking to at length about music (he seemed a trifle despondent, think I was trying to cheer him up, not sure if it was worked), and Curtains seemed a wee bit cheesed off to miss out on this whole thing that he had set up while he was working until very, very late. Hey, I was working, too. Sort of.

Anyway, the PR guy who got me on the list was schmoozing me quite a bit (think he fancied E, who was my plus one) and he asked if I was going along to this secret gig involving Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly. getting on a train, singing in a mellow fashion before performing in a "secret" (I think everyone actually knows) location. Invite only, natch. I said I didn't have tickets. I am now on the list. Oh yeah! I was also offered an interview slot with the singer, Sam Duckworth at 3pm today but I'm not doing it cos we don't have the space. Apparently. Also, I've met Sam before and we had a very detailed, very drunk conversation about his band name which possibly made me sound like an idiot. Not that he would remember or anything.

So much for a quiet weekend. Although GCWCF should be fairly chilled and not very late. Then church tomorrow morning for mass and a meeting with the priest who is hopefully going to marry me and HF, then another gig in the evening, followed by a club night as it's Bank Holiday Monday.

I think that stuff has made up for not getting the job. A bit. The person who got the job I wanted had the cheek to come up to me and say he couldn't believe I got the Malaysia trip, he really wanted it. Ha!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Ahem. You got the job of vice-captain of the cricket team. Congratulations.

This does, though, mean that you can't go to Malaysia, as you're playing for us.









Oh, OK, if you put it like that, I suppose we could let you have a couple of weeks off.

Just as long as you come back all gymnastically fit. And take the captain with you, of course.

6/5/07 4:16 pm  
Blogger mig bardsley said...

Pictures????
Can't wait :)

3/6/07 2:35 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home