Thursday, November 10, 2005

Cello-wrapping

I saw a sign advertising a free "cello-wrapping" service in a card shop today. I was confused and mildly amused - why would you go to a card shop to get your cello wrapped? Why would it need wrapping? And what would you wrap it with?

It took me some time before I realised that rather than the musical instrument, it referred to the type of wrapping method - cellophane. It was, I feel, a misleading and somewhat confusing abbreviation. Like saying you were going outside to do some guarding, when actually you meant gardening. Or, like me earlier, getting confused and referring to a passenger manifesto instead of a passenger manifest.

Some abbreviations I like. My full name is Francesca, but only really a few people such as my Dad and people who have known me since before I was Fran. I like Fran the best, although I like Frangelita too. Only a few people call me that. My old English teacher used to call me, without asking, 'Cesca (pronounced chesker) which used to drive me mad. Mind you, when she wasn't listening, I used to call her big, bouncy Babs. She was a very good teacher.

1 Comments:

Blogger mig bardsley said...

Shame really...there must be loads of people who got all excited thinking they could get their cellos wrapped...so disappointing to find it wasn't so!

11/11/05 1:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home