Friday, January 19, 2007

An Oxford story

Work is getting on apace. While I'm still not feeling exactly part of the team, I'm sort of getting to know people. Although when I called to tell them some hot news from home (roof blew off a building, employees evacuated - storm related), the person I spoke to thought I was called Sam and didn't knwo who the hell I was. Oh well.

No-one saw fit to tell me that Friday was "cazh" so I turned up all smart (well, as smart as I get) and felt like a sore thumb. More than normal.

Also, I decided to get all Oxfordy and ride my bike in to work. I'm fairly inexperienced at cycling in cities so I was going to cycle in to the cinema with E first. Except my back wheel fell off. Turns out when I took the bike apart I didn't quite successfully put it together again. Had to take the bus. In fact, had to run for the bus. Then caused the driver much hilarity, when after running for the bus, I forgot to take my change. And on the way back, I was talking to HF on the phone when I ran for the bus again. I missed it, so I kept on walking briskly. I had been walking for nearly 10 minutes before I realised I was walking in the wrong direction.

It's quite funny, I was walking past roadworks and at the front of the queue was about 20 people on bikes.

Oxford is going to take a little getting used to. Soon I'll start wearing stripey scarves and fashionably cazh jeans tucked into suedy boots.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You HAVE the suedy boots madam - I have a stripey scarf I'm willing to loan assuming it has the right sort of stripes which I expect is important. I'm impressed by the blase attitude adopted in relaying the wheel falling off your bike.

19/1/07 9:51 pm  
Blogger mig bardsley said...

Getting to know Oxford will substitute for the spinning anyway!
Can't wait to see the 'cazh' look :)

Last time I took a bike apart I was about four years old. It never worked again.

19/1/07 10:54 pm  
Blogger wetnailvarnish said...

Dont worry, you wont have to partake in the jeans/suede boots/stripey scarves look - its almost strictly limited to the hoardes of posh-rich-kid students. Known as 'Rahs' to us highly inventive student types.

Which bit of Oxford are you living in? I'm in a little street off Cowley Road, quite near town..

20/1/07 4:14 pm  
Blogger frangelita said...

Ooh, so am I - up near the bingo hall? Maybe we'll have to get together in the Cape of Good Hope or something...

21/1/07 4:48 pm  
Blogger wetnailvarnish said...

oh wow, are you really? i'm nearer the little tescos - about halfway down between the bingo hall & the end of the road near town. i live on regent street - its off hurst street. very near the bullingdon pub/bar/thing.
lol. how funny. we really should meet up, being so near! although i'm not back in oxford until sunday.. i've never been to the cape of good hope (many students boycott it on principle because it used to be the v popular/studenty 'pub oxford'), but it looks nice in there..

23/1/07 7:58 pm  
Blogger frangelita said...

I've never been there either. My friend, who is not a student, says before it was the Oxford Pub it was the Cape of Good Hope. Send me an e-mail on my profile if you fancy getting together.

23/1/07 9:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home